The Elim Pentecostal Church is a growing Movement of more than 550 Christian congregations in the UK and Ireland.
Elim was founded in 1915 by George Jeffreys, a young Christian from Maesteg in South Wales. Jeffreys and a group of friends, known as the Elim Evangelistic Band, preached, started churches and witnessed a move of God that was characterised by miraculous healings and an explosion in the number of people becoming Christians.
The founders wanted the name of their new Movement to express their vision and values, and so chose "ELIM," the name of an oasis in the Bible that the people of Israel discovered as they wandered through the desert. It provided shade and refreshment to all who encountered it.
In a world that can feel like a desert, our 21st-century churches seek to be a place of spiritual resource within their communities.
ELIM IN HOLYHEAD
Back in 1935, a team of evangelists came to Holyhead to hold a tent campaign sharing the good news of Jesus Christ. A marquee was put up on a field at the back of Newry Street. Pastor Edward Jeffries was the leader of the team. Edward’s father Stephen & brother George had already been touring the UK and overseas preaching the gospel. The campaign had a great impact on the people of Holyhead, with large crowds attending meetings every night for many weeks. Pubs and cinemas were left half empty, and lives were changed. People were converted in large numbers with many healed of their sicknesses.
Following the campaign it was felt that a building was needed for people to meet together on a regular basis to worship God. Trearddur Square was the chosen location for the church building, and was built by uncle and nephew team David & John Williams. It was called "Bethel Temple." The first minister of the church was Pastor Rees Edwards & his wife, who came from Ammanford in South Wales.
In 1945, the Elim Foursquare Gospel Alliance appointed Pastor Lesley Hawes & his wife with their children Gaius & Pearl, to lead the church. Sunday morning and evening services were held with Sunday School in the afternoon. Prayer meeting was on Tuesday afternoons, and Bible study on Thursday evenings. There was a ladies fellowship on Tuesday afternoons, and Sunshine Corner meetings ‘for children under 99.’ There were also Saturday evening celebration gatherings each week, and an after church meeting at 7.30pm on a Sunday evening which enabled members of other denominations to join in the pentecostal experience. The singing of the Moody & Sankey hymns was thrilling for the congregation as they praised God for the wonderful work done in their lives.
In the 1950’s, Pastor & Mrs F J Day with their daughter Carol, led the church when Pastor & Mrs Hawes were called to another pastorate. Next was Pastor & Mrs A Johnson, followed by Pastor & Mrs R Smith with their children David & Christine. During this time, it was discovered that the building in Trearddur Square was in need of major repairs, and was deemed unsuitable for services as it failed to meet the councils criteria for public usage. Another building became available in London Road, originally a Welsh Chapel, though for many years had been used as a food storage depot. Negotiations were made with the owners and the building purchased by the Elim Pentecostal Church.
In the early 1960’s, Pastor & Mrs R Hodge with their children Pamela & Philip, led the church. They were followed by Pastor & Mrs H Dawson with their children Peter & Sharon. Between 1969 and 1971, Rev & Mrs Derek Ricketts with their sons John, David, James & Simon, led the church. During this time, the opportunity arose to move to a larger church premises near the town centre. The decision was made to sell the church in London Road, and purchase Brynhyfryd Chapel in Thomas Street, previously a Welsh Congregational Chapel.
From 1971 to 2016, the church has met in Brynhyfryd Chapel on Thomas Street. Since 2016, the church has been holding Sunday morning services in Boston Centre Stage on Boston Street. Week day meetings continue to be held in Brynhyfryd Chapel.
Since it's beginning, until the present day, the church has had 17 ministers.
1971 – 1976 Rev & Mrs F Evans
1976 Rev & Mrs T Miles with their children Gary & Mark
1978 – 1981 Rev & Mrs A Jones with their children Adrian, Stephen & Rhiannon
1981 – 1984 Rev & Mrs N Morgan with their children Jonathan & Zoe
1984 – 1990 Rev & Mrs C Jones with their children
1990 – 1994 Pastor & Mrs J Masters with their children Sam, Jed & Edwina
1995 – 2001 Rev & Mrs P Lloyd Rimmer with their children Jonathan, Naomi & Carys
2001 – 2009 Rev & Mrs J Ricketts with their children Phil & Paul
2012 – 2016 [following a two year absence of Minister] Rev & Mrs K Meggers with their children Levi & Samuel
2016 - Present New Zealanders, Pastor Gus & Keren Coney with their children Ethan & Hannah